Saturday, October 08, 2011

Spooktacular Signs - The Trick-or-Treat Blog Hop



Welcome to the Trick-Or-Treat Blog Hop! 
October 8-10, 2011
 

Crafter's Workshop and Clearsnap have teamed up for the next three days to create hauntingly inspiring projects for this Halloween season. It's all tricks, treats, and techniques so join us on a fright night jaunt to remember, hopping from blog to blog. Leave your "Trick-or-treat" comment on each blog in the hop in hopes of winning candy, blog candy that is! For every 50 comments posted on this blog we're giving away a set of inks and accessories to spook up any crafter's projects!!! We'll choose the winners from the blog comments posted on all the blogs in the Hop. 

The Clearsnap prize includes Smooch Spritz in Frosted Grape, Green Olive, and Carrot Cake, ColorBox Pigment InkPad in Spooktacular, Glitter in  Grape Fizz, Design Adhesives in "Trick or Treat" and "Eeeeks!?", plus our new Design Foils in Lime Burst. That's alot of spook to go around!


Plus Crafter's Workshop is giving away this fabulous assortment of templates worth over $35!! This is some serious blog candy!!


Receive extra entries in the Hop for following Clearsnap and Crafter's Workshop on Twitter and Facebook and for tweeting or posting on Facebook about the Hop - just post here afterwards that you have followed us or posted about the Hop to increase your chances to win. 


Here are the artsy spooksters to visit:



Julie Fei-Fan Balzer - http://www.balzerdesigns.typepad.com/
Charlotte Jenkins http://suepup.blogspot.com
Mary Dawn Quirindongo -http://mypinkmexico.blogspot.com/ Karen Grunberg- http://www.karenika.com/
Jen Clark - http://mycraftyfriendjen.blogspot.com/  YOU ARE HERE

Happy Hopping!!


We recently visited our local pumpkin patch as a family, and while there, I saw a large family or possibly a group on tour - at any rate, they had some signs on wood sticks to identify their group.  I thought they were really cute, and that some similar Halloween-y signs would make super cute decorations...and that my kids would probably enjoy carrying them while out trick-or--treating (OR just around the house for the next several weeks, as is proving the case...).  So before we left the pumpkin patch, I made sure to gather several twigs - we live in the desert and certainly don't have any twigs in OUR yard!  My kids couldn't wait to see what I was going to do with them!

I started out by cutting cardstock to 5.25" wide by 6.5" long.  I ran each one through my Zutter Distrezz-it-All to distress the edges.  I used the 6x6 Crafter's Workshop trees template and the Clearsnap MetalXtra Platinum ink pad with a blending tool to apply ink to the cardstock to create just a shadow on the background.


After drying the ink, I applied some Glue Gloss to a tree stamp and stamped it over the background trees.  I rubbed some Lucky Penny and Plum Crazy Designer Foils over the Tree (you have to let it get tacky a bit, then rub a bit and apply several times since it's not really meant to be used with the Glue Gloss).  Then I re-stamped the tree using Clearsnap Pigment ink to give it more definition.


I used the Crafter's Workshop numbers template to highlight the number "31," using Clearsnap Espresso pigment ink.  I just love how easy the Queue's are to use - both the chalk ink and the pigment ink.  (Just a note - the chalk ink dries very quickly, the pigment ink a bit more slowly, but both are easy to use.)


I added a word sticker, going around the edges with Dark Brown chalk ink, and went around the edges of the entire sign with the same ink pad.  I added some accents with a Viva Pearl Pen, and my sign was complete.(I punched holes in the top and bottom to put it on a twig.)


On this one, I used the triangle plaid template to create a background, added the clocks over it using that template, and I used Glue Gloss to cover the witch in black glitter.  I *LOVE* using Glue Gloss for glitter - it ROCKS.  If you've never tried it for glitter, flocking, etc. - you are really missing out!!  I again used the MetalXtra Platinum ink pad - to ink the skull and to add highlights to the houses - I just love that ink pad!!  A little goes a long way.


On this third one, I started by using black ink with the tree template, and then used Design Adhesive flourishes in the corners with Plum Crazy foils.  You can see the shimmer somewhat - but it's really hard to see in photographs JUST how shimmery the foils really are!!  I added the skeleton and the Halloween card - inked with Lavender chalk ink - and the "spooky" word sticker.  I went around the edges of the sticker and sign with Espresso pigment ink.


Finally, the last sign.  I started by using the damask template, and sprayed using Wine Berry and Silver Foil Smooch Spritz.  Then I applied some Glue Gloss on the house, and again applied the Designer Foils, a little at a time.  While it didn't work perfectly - it sort of has a spooky, haunted look to it, which is fitting with the theme!  I finished it with a greeting.


For now, the signs are gracing our entry-way table, along with a few other Halloween decorations...though I had to fight my children off to get them to leave them be long enough for me to snap photos!  I have no doubt they will be missing soon, and there will be 3 little monsters running through the house sporting spooky signs!


Now on with the blog hop!!

50 comments:

Denise Bryant said...

cool project!
DeniseB

Suepup said...

I love these tags. I could fillup my yard with these on Beggers Night!

CraftyGirl said...

Not sure what happened to my comment.

Love these! I think they would look great on a walkway to the door or around a "treat" table

Kathleen said...

I love your projects. This blog hop is just what I needed because I'm trying to figure out how to use all these products, and seeing your gorgeous signs is really giving me some good ideas... thanks so much for sharing!

Leslie said...

Cool goodies - thanks for the giveaway.

Hayley B said...

I love them all but the one with the witch and clock is my favorite...

Denay said...

Love the sign with the witch! The colors are awesome.

funkycrafter said...

what a great idea for signs. i like these a lot. the colors really make them pop.

Susan said...

These are so cute!

Vidette said...

Love all the signs. They are lot of fun to look at.

Susan Coan said...

Just bought some of these stencils, but WANT more. Your project gave me some ideas. Thanks!!

sharon g said...

I am definitely going to make those!!!!!!!!

Melissa said...

Adorable signs. I think they would look nice in my vase of flowers.

Carole B said...

What a great idea, very unique. Your trick or treaters will really stand out in a crowd.

Clare G said...

Super fun project, love your "spooky cute" Halloween designs!

Unknown said...

Your signs are just too cute. Thanks for sharing.

Janet's Joy said...

Wonderful projects!!

Anonymous said...

Love your projects - yum yum. Thanks so much for the chance at such fabulous candy - good luck all :O)

Anonymous said...

Love your projects - yum yum. Thanks so much for the chance at such fabulous candy - good luck all :O)

Kristin said...

Fun decorations for Halloween! Trick or Treat.

Anita Braddock said...

wow very goolinsh. you have don a magnifisant job. i love the colors. you dont know the outcome till u see the end I love this. thanks for sharing.
abbraddock@msn.com

famillemarleau said...

Love those signs. Love the final result. Thanks for sharing, Johanne L.

~ Anne ~ said...

What an awesome set of examples! Thanks for sharing!

Crystal said...

These signs are great! You have just given me another idea to use for decorating for an "elegant Halloween" themed party!

Bonita Rose said...

Jen, thks for your blog comment today on my blog! and yes, I took SR 1 when it first came out last year, and before that... I attended a real brave girls camp last Oct 2010... so yes, I've had the experience, and being there in Idaho with Melody and Kathy changed my life in so many ways... I learned so much and it was such a magical time. The house I shared on my blog post was a canvas I actually created while I was there in Idaho at brave girls! xo hugs

Anonymous said...

What a CUTE idea! I could have went happily all day without seeing that huge spider but ..... LOL

Sabr said...

This is such a good idea for Halloween decor! Love them all!

dawn said...

What a cute idea this is. I love how each one is so different. Would look great by my front door, it's just the right amount of fun and spooky. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

Mwah-ha-ha-ha! I love the dimension each of your signs has, from the layering of stencil and stamp and spritz, to the lifted elements like titles and that row of spooky houses! So fun!

Barbi Defazio said...

Wow, love these signs! Also loved seeing how they came to be. : )

Helena said...

Fun signs, Thanks for the step-by-step! love those stencils and spritzes.

Karen Phanco said...

Wow! I didn't even think of tags! Great ideas!

Lisa said...

Ohmygosh. These signs are adorable! I like the shading you did with the tree in the background on the first one, and just part of the numbers template for the "31". Awesome!

Katie said...

Very cool projects! Thanks for all of the great ideas. I never thought to use the numbers that way! Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.

brigitte said...

really fun project.
tfs!!

ArtZhodgepodge said...

What fun and spooky pages.

ginigin said...

Wow, I gotta get some Glue Gloss. Had never heard of it. Guess that's why they have these hops. Hoping for some sugar free "candy" but the real prize is finding great blogs like yours!

Anonymous said...

Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me some CANDY! Really like your work, very creative and new. I happen to love the numbers stencil and mask, so it's nice to see it used somewhere.

Art Expression said...

Nice projects....I am a follower on Facebook ...love what you did = )

Anonymous said...

Cute cards. Nice work combining the stencils and stamps!

Kalliope said...

Oh I LOVE these signs! What a cute idea!
Trick or Treat!!

Kalliope said...

Following Clearsnap and CW on FB

Kalliope said...

posted about the hop!

Carol said...

So cool, love all the projects and products.

Unknown said...

i love the look of the spiders on the first one! the others are super cute too! :) i'd love to be entered for the prize pack please! amazing_alex.0818[at]yahoo[dot]com

Peg said...

Gorgeous projects!

Diana said...

Sounds like fun, thank you,Diana

Limor Webber said...

Those signs are awesome!! I don't know what I would ever do without my screens!!! I loooove them!!!

ellen s. said...

oh how cleVER! love how you accented the 31!!!!

Mom Blog Society said...

Hi, we are looking for guest post on Mom Blog Society. If you are interested please contact me.

LaDonna Dennis
Mom Blog Society
http://momblogsociety.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...